Switch to Accessible Site
Ann Jacob Smith, PhD, LCPC
Specializing in individual and family counseling
Ann Jacob Smith
5480 Wisconsin Ave., Suite 210
Chevy Chase, MD 20815

email:  annjacobsmith@yahoo.com
When should I seek help for eating?

If you or a family members suffer from any of these symptoms, you may be struggling with an eating disorder, or disordered eating:

  • Increased "pickiness"  or rigidity about food or avoiding certain food groups
  • Chronic dieting
  • Discomfort eating around others--finds ways to avoid meals
  • Skipping meals
  • Eating in secret large quantities of food and feeling guilty
  • Significant weight gain or loss
  • Driven exercising with the goal of reducing calories
  • Compensating for food already consumed by exercising, restricting, vomiting, using laxatives or diet pills
  • Increased shame about one's body